Friday-gami: Jumping frog!
We’re back for another origami lesson! You know those plastic jumping frogs that hop around when you press on the back of them? Well let’s make the paper version! They may not hop quite as well (although sometimes they hop better), but it still is fun to see paper jumping around the table! Never played with one before? Check out my gif at the end to see how to make them jump forward!
1. Start as usual, with the square paper.
2. Fold in half from side to side. Do not unfold.
3. Fold in half from top to bottom, then unfold.
4. On the bottom half (under the crease you just folded) fold the right edge to meet the center crease. Unfold.
5. Repeat for the other edge. Unfold.
6. Fold up the bottom edge so it meets the center crease. Unfold.
7. Using the existing creases, create an upside down waterbomb base. The point will be towards you.
8. In progress…
10. Turn it around so the point is on top.
11. Fold the bottom edge up so it meets the middle.
12. Fold the bottom layer to the center.
13. You can see it goes under the top triangle.
14. Repeat on the other side.
15. Duplicate image. Sorry!
16. Fold the bottom edge up to the center. Do not unfold.
17. This is a bit confusing. The top layer will fold back and you will create diagonal creases.
18. In progress…
19. More in progress…
21. Take one of the points and fold it down. The top edge will meet the center.
22. Repeat on the other side.
23. I am pointing at a lump in the paper that will be used as a reference point.
24. Fold the inside crease so it lays aling that “lump”.
25. Repeat on the other side.
26. On the top half, fold the point up to an arbitrary point.
27. Repeat with the other point, trying to make it as symmetric as possible.
28. Fold the model in half.
29. Fold the top layer back down in half. This should be the result.
30. Flip it over and see your jumping frog!
Awesome sauce! Now push down on the froggy’s behind and flick him forward! Here’s a sample of my little jumper:
Enjoy! Have a race with your kids or see who can get the most frogs to jump onto a plate! Make a fun game out of it!
Until next time…